About Me

My photo
Funloving,Social,Humorous,Spontaneous at times.Somebody who is empathetic,likes to express and keep learning.

Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Ukulele Girl

 I had just finished my official trip and after 5 days I was going back home.I was sitting in my seat in a small Bombardier aircraft with 2 seat on either side of the row.I normally wish for a interesting co- passenger,or a celebrity famous personality so that I can have some interesting conversation.But that very rarely happens either because of my reluctance or from the co-passenger.

Since I had boarded earlier I was sitting in my allotted seat which was a window seat.I was just peering into the outside and occasionally looking inside where others were boarding one by one and taking up their designated seats.Suddenly there was lot of giggles and bit of cheer and I saw 3 young Girls who looked like they just probably are in the first or second year of their college.As usual they were more cheerful than the older lot and that explained the laughter or giggles.

Out of the 3, 2 had already taken their seats and they all seemed to carry a Guitar or someinstrument.The 3rd girl kept moving towards the rear and finally came to my seat.I smiled at her and she smiled back.She had quite a few bags in her hand and one small instrument inside a case which looked the size of a violin.Upon seeing her struggle to place the luggage I said to her ' Hi! If it's ok for you , you can give me that instrument.I will hold it for you'. She replied ' Thanks a lot! That would be so helpful' and sat down after placing her baggage in the over head compartment.

 I then turned to her and said ' Quite a lot of luggage ha' . She replied ' Yeah. True.And since they were a bit delicate had to carry all'. Then we just introduced each other. She said she was a student of fashion design. 

Even though I don't play any instrument I always have been  interested in music and people who play instruments.

Then I slowly asked her ' I saw you and other Girls all have some instruments.Are you a Band or something ? '. She replied very honestly ' Oh no no.I am not part of any band but I just bought this to play for my own sake.My other 2 friends are better in terms of playing than me'. Then I asked further ' From the size of it looks like a violin.Is it??" To which she replied " No.Since it is in a case it looks like that.It is actually a Ukulele". I had no clue as I had never heard that name before.I told her "Honestly.I have never heard that name before".

"Oh yes many people have definitely seen this but then they don't know it's name.I am sure you will recollect when I explain" she said and I had no clue if I would be able to find out. Then she started explaining or rather describing " This is like a small sized guitar.You would have seen in many Tamil movies where the Hero plays.My father had shown me even in old movies Shivaji Ganesan plays in one of the songs" I could not recollect immediately but then had a faint idea.Trying to check if my guess was correct by quoting one of the old songs and she said yes that's the one.

Then probably she felt comfortable or may be still had trust with society she continued speaking " I just bought this Ukulele because it is easier for beginners to learn.Normally people start off with this and then move onto Guitar ". She went on to the tell how her parents are very friendly and how she convinced her father to get her one Ukulele suddenly one day and his father agreed to buy her one. She went on to describe how she was a darling of her father and how he encourages her to do what she wants.

The more she spoke , for some reason I was imagining as if I was having a conversation with a grown up future version of  my daughter (who was just 3 years old at that time).

Without even realising time had flown and we reached Chennai.I said it was wonderful chatting with her and she replied the same.

And i said Good Bye to the Future version of my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment