About Me

My photo
Funloving,Social,Humorous,Spontaneous at times.Somebody who is empathetic,likes to express and keep learning.

Monday, August 17, 2020

Why do we tonsure ?? (Nithila and Appa Story)


Few days back I was doing some online research to understand the story(original native version) of our native God's we worship as Clan Deity(Kathayee Amman) in our family. I found the story about another God(Periyachi) though it's not our clan deity but we give the same treatment to that God as well.Once I learnt about it I was trying to explain the story to my kid.

Telling story to my kid is not the linear narration of me telling and she listening with rapt attention.Its more of a Christopher Nolan style narration :).

She will ask me something and we meander somewhere for explaining this and that and try to be back to explaining the story.

Me: Nithila! I have a nice story to tell.
Nithila: Yes appa.Story about what?
Me: it's about the God in our Village temple.
Nithila: Which temple??
Me: Don't you remember.The temple we went to tonsure your head when you were 3 years old.
You cried a lot.
Nithila: Yes Appa.I remember now.
Me: Do you remember the scary looking God in Black dress ??
Nithila: Yes appa.Very scary.
Me: I know the story of that God.
Nithila: Appa wait.
Me: What Nithila??
Nithila: Why do we tonsure our head?
Me: We do that for every kids born in our family once they are born and first time we do that in that temple.
Nithila: But why?
Me: Me scratching my head.
Nithila: What will God do with our hair????
Me: Me scratching my head even more.
Finally she came to her own conclusion.
Nithila: Appa I think God will make Wigs using that hair.
I said 'May be'  nodding my head.Though she found an answer.
Now I was the one with a question hanging over my head.
P.S: I never got to tell the story and never proceeded after realising   it as it was bit violent for small kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment